You've got a friend


We are in full fundraising mode, preparing for our walking challenge to raise money for the CF Trust. 


This process has required me to expose myself - to tell a wider circle of people about Eloise's CF to enable us raise as much money as possible. 


Why can it be difficult to tell people, to ask for donations and show the reality of Eloise's life?


Three of The Striding Sisters. Our training is in full swing!

When Eloise was a baby my attitude towards disclosing her condition changed daily! Some days I measured success by getting through the day and not mentioning CF. I had made it - got through the day without anyone knowing that CF was having a profound impact on our daily lives.

Other days I blurted it out & told anyone who would listen. By telling people I was proving to myself that I was okay, coping and in a place where I could talk about it without getting upset.

I hope I am more balanced now (although I do have good & not-so- good days!). I am open and happy to talk about it if the conversation requires but I don't let it dominate. I am confident to support campaigns and ask friends to sign petitions and write to their local MP. 

The drive to raise money has overridden my fear of telling people. I have sent pleads for sponsorship to my department at work, started a Facebook page and asked AnaBanana - a fab toddler group we attend - to share it on her FB page, she also kindly made an announcement about our fundraising during one of her fabulous sessions (E loves going to her group!).

My fabulous mum has even made posters and plastered them all over her village!



And you know what I have discovered? Ive discovered that people are amazing & really supportive. I have been overwhelmed by each & every donation we have received and am sure we can smash our target.

Many people lead complicated, sometimes stressful lives and it can be hard to ask for help. But reach out to people and you will discover that you've not only got a friend, you've got a whole army of them!



Carole King is one of my faves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine, seaside and a big bag of drugs!

Eradicate, Eradicate

Toddler V CF - reality bites!